ZBrush sets the industry standard for digital sculpting and painting. Its features enable you to use customizable brushes to shape, texture and paint virtual clay in a real-time environment that provides instant feedback. When you use ZBrush you'll be empowered by the same tools employed by film studios, game developers, toy/collectible makers, jewelry designers, automotive/aviation designers, illustrators, advertisers, scientists and other artists the world over. In fact, we have even received an Academy Award for the technology that powers ZBrush.
In short, ZBrush is an art tool created by artists, for artists. It allows you to create models and illustrations limited only by your imagination, at a speed that allows you to stand out in today's fast paced industry.
ZBrush 2022 provides enhancements that affect many areas of your workflow, with a focus on innovative new features that are designed to fuel exploration and inspire creativity.
Sketch Your Mesh!
Mesh From Mask is an amazingly fast and simple set of brushes (MeshExtrude, MeshBalloon, MeshSplat, and MeshExtrudePropDepth) for creating base meshes that you will then sculpt using the rest of the ZBrush feature set. Simply outline your desired shape with the masking lasso. ZBrush will instantly turn that outlined shape into an editable mesh. You can then either jump directly to sculpting or you can continue to refine the outline -- adding to it, subtracting, or cutting holes. As you modify the shape, the generated model updates in real-time so that you never have to guess what the results will be.
Sculptris Pro Improvements- No Limitations
Sculptris Pro is a dynamic tessellation sculpting workflow that enables you to ignore the constraints of polygon distribution and just -- sculpt! Sculptris Pro makes it possible for you to begin with any shape or model, whether it has ten polygons or millions of polygons. There is absolutely no need to worry about having enough polygons to capture details. With Sculptris Pro you can simply brush across the surface. Sculptris Pro will dynamically add and reduce polygons wherever and whenever it's needed, freeing you to focus entirely on the look you're trying to achieve. ZBrush places a library of over 400 sculpting brushes at your fingertips. Activating Sculptris Pro will transform each of these brushes into a system for empowering creativity without limitations.
Contrast - Give it a Boost
Didn't sculpt those wrinkles deeply enough? Need to enhance the details of those fish scales for a 3D print? The Contrast slider provides you with the ability to globally enhance all sculpting details while the Contrast brushes make it possible to focus on specific areas to heighten your sculptural details. Specific depths can be applied on an individual basis and even be adjusted in real-time, giving true freedom to experiment. Contrast doesn't just bump the details. It can also be applied to smooth a surface back towards the original state before any sculpting details were applied.
Thick Skin - the Right Touch of Detail
For the true sense of adding, removing or moving clay across a surface use Thick Skin. This gives any mesh the appearance of having been sculpted as a fine art piece. Thick Skin can also be used to establish a specific plateau from which to build upon a surface to create scales and other features with consistent height or depth.
Don't let the walls of your topology restrict your creative process. ZBrush 2021.5 introduces three new features to ZModeler:
- Slice Mesh: Slice your topology along an edge, face or point to control the direction in which you want to take further construction of polygons.
- Crease Shortest Path: Crease multiple edges with two clicks to maintain that hard surface crispness.
- PolyGroup Fill: Use the PolyGroup Fill option to mark the faces where you will add an extra layer of topology, such as to create a suit of armour for a figure or to add the right touch of detail on a utility knife.
Sculpt with real-time render accuracy that shows every stroke applied to your mesh in detail. The real-time ambient occlusion feature gives you the ability to quickly visualize what portions of the model need that extra touch.
Need to tie a knot around your character's waist, create a flow of wires through a mech or apply laces to a shoe or boot? Curves Helper is your answer!
Lock your model to one rotational axis to give you that real world feeling of working on a sculpture stand, just like the clay masters did.
3DConnexion Device Support
Navigate in a way that frees you from a keyboard – ZBrush 2021.5 adds support for 3DConnexion devices.
BPR Filter >> Radial Overlay
The Radial Overlay filter lets you focus your render on a specific part of the scene, creating an effect similar to that of a spotlight. The direction, radius and intensity of the effect can be adjusted.
Other Additions and Improvements
- SmoothAlt brush - The Alternate Smooth brush, an alternate smoothing algorithm that used to require a key/click combination to access is now available as a separate brush.
- Important! Note: Holding Shift, clicking on the mesh and holding the click while then releasing Shift will still work to switch the Smooth brush to its alternate algorithm. Conversely, when the Alternate Smooth brush is selected this same combo will switch to using the regular Smooth brush.
- Two new Render Presets have been added.
- Various plugins have been updated.
- Four new Demo Projects have been added to be used as a basis for many sculpts.
- Several brushes have been added to take advantage of the Thick Skin feature.
- Important! Note: Some brushes previously available at launch may have been moved to the ZBrushes folder in order to make room for these new brushes. They are still available through LightBox or by browsing to them.
- The ZBrush to Keyshot bridge is now cross-platform, allowing use on Windows and/or macOS machines. All existing licenses have been converted, and all new license purchases will be cross-platform from the outset.